Thread: 757s to 737s
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 05:56 PM
AxlF16
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: 787 Captain

Originally Posted by APC225 View Post
That's where opinions diverge greatly. Some value being a PIC. A lot of pilots just don't get this. That's fine. Bid the bunk. That's the whole fallacy with "ours are bigger." For many, that simply misses the point. Some pilots' career goals weren't to pull gear for someone who's random timing was better, or even to watch someone else do the same.
I've flown with a lot of guys like that. I didn't envy them...this is a job and when you make it more than that you are setting yourself up for problems. I hope those that seek the power are able to enjoy it. Me - I'm here for the paycheck and QOL combination. If I REALLY want to be in charge of something, I'll run for Homeowner's Association President, coach my kids sports team, or chair the fundraiser committee of the PTA.

When someone asks what my job is I say 'airline pilot'. This is a serious question -- do any of you Captains answer the same question by saying 'Airline Captain'? I'm not busting balls or judging....I just never thought about how ingrained in someone's identity this job can get.

Oh, and for maxepr -- the flying f/o doesn't do walkarounds. We use the term bunkies, but we've steadfastly resisted the companies desires to turn the 'bunkie' position into an IRP. They really wanted that in our bankruptcy contract -- but we gave up hourly $$ I order to keep fully qualified and paid 'bunkies'. I don't know how the CAL culture is, but I've always been treated as an equal member of the crew and have never experienced a loss of self esteem due to my SIC status.