Old 04-07-2007, 10:02 AM
FearlessFreep
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2005

For one a transatlantic flight is not that long. Getting up and leaving your post for a half hour is irresponsible. First off if you are not an FE then when above FL250 the remaining crewmember will legally have to be on oxygen while your pumping your abs. That means that potentially the oxygen bottles will have to be pulled off the aircraft and serviced more frequently (bottles cannot be serviced in situ anymore.) That will make big friends with the maintenance people. Someone that gets up and leaves the flight deck for greater than 15-20 minutes just p*sses me off. You can do your exercising on your layover. And just so you know, I work out a lot and I would never take the presumption of doing it during flight.

I would also not suggest jumping up and down on the upper deck. When just standing on the floor and having someone walk past it moves vertically at least a half inch. There have been AD's issued regarding corrosion issues on the upper deck floor beams and the fuselage juncture. Your probably not going to break anything but continued & repeated jumping up and down will probably create cracks some point down the road. Doing your exercises on the lower deck is going to be between the pallet tracks, pallet locks tiedown tracks, tiedowns, shackles, PDU's, and loaded cargo.

As far as bringing your wife, do that once going to Asia and you will either get divorced or your wife will have you working in Home Depot when she finds out about the avid pursuit of "happy endings" by your fellow crewmembers. It's my opinion that jumpseating family members at this point time wouldn't be allowed by any operators - especially post 911. ACMI operations are at the whim of the customer, somehow I don't think that they would be very happy ferrying around your family and paying for their lodging/expenses/catering/etc, to say nothing of customs/immigrations/visa considerations.

So there's your answers.

P.S. Don't paint the devil on the wall with the Big "C". I know people that are dealing with serious bouts of cancer and it is no joke. Your questions are no way even close to the serious nature of that dreaded disease.

Grow up.

Last edited by FearlessFreep; 04-07-2007 at 11:12 AM.