View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 12:09 AM
EXPAT1
Banned

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: 737 NG CAPT.

Obviously your best bet is to stay at your current job and get the upgrade. I know the ME carriers have slowed down but still stick it out and wait for your turn. The next phase after you upgrade will vary a lot depending upon family situation and what you enjoy. Historically the 2 best ExPat jobs have been Korean Air and Air Japan. These jobs provide good pay and the ability to commute. There is some baggage with both jobs and they aren't as good as they used to be but still considered the premium ExPat pilot positions. The medicals in Japan are extremely difficult and initial training at Korean can make things quite challenging. The highest paying jobs as an ExPat are now in China on the A-320 but closely followed by the B-737NG. Many contracts are close to or right at 20K per month now. Some are commuting and some are not. China has its own set of unique problems though and will present challenges. Another consideration is long haul vs. short haul flying. Most pilots prefer the long haul but the time away from family presents problems with family life. I have a 2 year old so I stay flying short haul in China as I am home most nights while working and work a commuting contract of 44 days on and 16 days off. The larger aircraft in China typically will pay less but are better for older pilots without children. China Southern is now offering foreign bases are Air China on the 777 and A-330. Best of Luck!