View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 08:48 PM
RemoveB4flght
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by 69BugDude View Post
1. With the ATP Rule going into reality, do you see the pool of guys and gals, making their way into the regionals, slowing at some point because of the time required to obtain their ATP and the 1500 hour requirement?
Many regionals are already addressing this issue with a pre-hire program to lure low time pilots (sub ATP mins in this case). Meaning you will compete with the same people you would have, just in a different way

2. This goes along with my previous question..do you think that there will be a lack of students due to the new requirements being such a tremendous undertaking in time and debt, therefore adding greatly to the lack of qualified pilots in the job pool and well as student pool?
There's never a shortage of dreamy eyed pilots chasing the carrot, the bigger issue is funding and the lack of cheap, easy money that was around over the last decade. Even so, many foreign airlines send an almost unending stream of cadet pilots to the US for practical training, which keep many flight schools afloat.

3. Wouldn't my first two questions, if true, equate to a very real possibility of a lack of qualified pilots on the new hire side than on the retirement side? A bit of an opposite to the talking heads idea of a "pilot shortage" due to retirement?
Short answer, no.

4. I know I'm putting the apple before the cart, but say things work out for me and I get to the point as to where I am looking at entering the part 121/135 world...Is living in SW Florida a tough situation if I had a commute to base outside of FL?
I'm not here to advise whether or not you should do this, but if you do, the first thing you need to do is focus more on the steps in front of your face. if you're going to do intense fast track flight training, you have a lot of work ahead of you. Don't just 'get through' your ratings (preferably without failing any check rides), you need to learn this stuff so you can teach it... and actually be of use in the right seat later on.

To answer your question, commuting as a junior pilot on reserve is never "easy". I know the area you are in quite well.. and though it depends on your base, I see a lot of crash pad nights in your future initially.