View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 05:12 PM
GNENSEC
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2010
Position: Either One

You and I have very similar backgrounds. You more than likely prepared for the pay cut (min. 60%), standby schedule for a while, upgrade time in these uncertain days STILL long time, then back to standby again, the only way you'll be money ahead is with a major when you upgrade and how many more years before you WANT to retire.

STAY CORPORATE!!!!

Originally Posted by snp1973 View Post
Well with all of the hiring wave news (hah!) I tend to get a little bit of, "the grass is greener" syndrome going.

Background... Started out corporate/charter, flew regional 121 from 2000-2003. Didn't care much for it, but it was a pretty bad time for everyone. Went Part 135 again in 2003, and worked the same job for almost eight years. Place more or less fell apart, had a couple really bad charter jobs (so bad I looked at leaving aviation very hard) and earlier this year landed a pretty good 91 job. Pay is above NBAA average, good owners, good hotels, treated well. Fly about 300 hours annually, and upgrading to a larger aircraft soon.

I'm not as $$$ driven as some, happiness is very important to me. We get hosed, like anyone, at times and it's pretty rough. Then again, we have some pretty slow periods. I can drive to work, although it is further than I would like. I'm in charge, but I also carry around a ton of responsibility which can get heavy at times.

It's not the ultimate 91 job you hear about, but it's probably about 70-75% there in my opinion.

I like the idea of a schedule, of course, and the money is better with many carriers in the long run IF NOTHING CHANGES

I have seven type ratings, been in the left seat for a decade, have served as a Check Airman, prior 121 experience, no dings on my records... and so far with four applications to Airways not a peep - just the usual "thanks but no thanks" email. LOR's, whatever - just not working. Not a word for any other carrier I've applied to. The competition will be fierce for some time, even if the floodgates open, in my opinion. And the first thing the airlines do after they hire a bunch of guys is lay some of them off.

So are there a lot of corporate guys that are also pondering going back to, or entering, the 121 world? If so, what do you think you've done to help land you the job. I'd like to hear thoughts pro's and con's as well. I'm about as happy as I've ever been (with a flying job) but if there is to be a decent wave of hiring, I'd at least like to give it full consideration.