Old 08-03-2013, 09:24 AM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner
Red face FDX: "Fuel Sense", Common Sense, and Safety

July 18:

Airbus (A300/A310) Default Flap Setting

Airbus pilots are informed via Flight Crew Information File that the new default flap setting will change to Slats 15 / Flaps ZERO.

The lower flap setting will increase climb/gradient performance and reduce fuel consumption. Pilots are advised they "may" notice
lower takeoff flap settings (DUH -- the new default is lower), higher V speeds and lower stop margins in certain conditions (certain conditions? more like ALL conditions!). In all caps, pilots are reminded of the most important technique: USE NORMAL PROCEDURES!! (The best technique is to use normal procedures -- now, THAT'S some sound advice!!)

Finally, and almost as a footnore, pilot's are advised: "It will not take as much effort to produce the desired [rotation] rate of 3 degrees per second. You will notice a quicker response to aft stick movement."

Ya THINK!?@!?

August 2:

Airbus Tailscrape Event

"This morning ... an Airbus A300 experienced a tailscrape during takeoff."

I wonder if there is any correlation. I wonder how much fuel needs to be saved in order to offset the cost of repairing a "tailscrape". I wonder why other airplanes have tail strikes, and this one has a tail scrape.

Maybe I wonder too much.