Old 08-03-2013, 02:00 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by MEMbrain View Post

It sounds you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

I doubt the pilots of the tailscrape airplane feel like it's a molehill, but I'm sure our "Just Culture" will take care of them.

Originally Posted by MEMbrain View Post

15/0 shouldn't be a big deal, although we have a way of making stuff more complicated than it has to be. I understand that it is their standard takeoff configuration. They use 15/0 unless conditions dictate otherwise. I'm sure they have situations in which they have to use 15/15 and 15/20. I've never heard of them having issues with using 15/0, so I would't get all worked up over us going to 15/0.

I think you're missing my point. It's not about the flap setting, it's about the poor implementation of a new procedure that is NOT without some risk.

THEIR pilots do it all the time, so OUR pilots ought to be able to do it with the publication of an FCIF. At some level (of management) that makes perfect sense.

Then you're in the airplane, having not performed a takeoff in that configuration in quite some time, if ever, and you've got a Zero stop margin. As you're rolling down the runway towards that higher V1 and VR and as you see the end drawing near, you don't want to rotate too slowly because you like to be airborne before the end of the runway and you'd prefer to fly ABOVE the obstacles. It's not a picture you're used to seeing. BUT, be careful, use your muscle memory to rotate and you'll be rotating too quickly and approaching that tail scrape.

THEIR pilots do it all the time. Good for their pilots. OUR pilots DON'T do it all the time. Can we think of a better, safer way to implement a significant change in procedure?

After all, we're not talking about something trivial like altimeter changeover procedures.