Thread: Crew Rest . . .
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 11:30 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by ABK MAN View Post

Castaway was on the tube this weekend, I am asking about FX's crew rest areas. I've been on many of the purple MD-11s, I have seen the "slide a bunk bed out" if you will, but nothing like what is depicted in the movie. How effective are these "bunk beds" in tryin to catch some Zs? I have seen a jumper on a bus one night, with a mat of sorts, pleanty of room to lay down in the floor and sleep away. Seems like a good idea. . .

Shhhhh . . . sometimes Hollywood takes liberties with the truth . . . shhhhh . . . it's a secret.

The "Captain in a Box" crew rest facility is adequate. It is cramped, but there's a horizontal space with a "bunkbed" of sorts, each with a padded mattress, reasonable darkness, and ventilation. All the creature comforts. I never had a problem sleeping in it -- some people do.

It gets interesting when there are two people in it.

As for sleeping on the floor . . . I've done that, too. MD-11s without the CRF have a tri-fold mattress, or fouton that stores behind the seats in the cabin. It's better if you have a sleeping bag or something similar. One concern about sleeping on the floor is dry ice on board. It sublimates, and it . . . goes to the floor. It's an asphyxiation hazard.

(Engines don't run after they've been submerged in the ocean, either.)

(OH, and the biggest error in the movie: Jumpseaters never know how to don oxygen masks. )