Old 08-05-2013, 04:32 AM
Unknown Rider
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Bent Over

Originally Posted by matty View Post
Deep thoughts by matty:

Change is often the genesis of mistakes. Minimizing the impacts of change is mitigated with training.

With the change to a takeoff configuration that only consisted of a "this is what we're doing now...and now do it" email/FCIF only lends itself to problems.

We spent countless hours getting ready for and practicing for EFB's. EFB's had nothing to do with the actual flying of the airplane. The paper charts were always there as a backup. "I can't figure this thing out...get the paper!"

We made a change as to how the airplane performs and there was zero sim/hands-on training involved.

I realize this isn't rocket science. I've read the FCIF's and know you can't put the yolk in your lap on takeoff. BUT, anyone who has flown the a plane for any period of time has seen people rotate like they are clearing a 1,000' mountain at the end of the runway. These are the people that some sim training would have benefitted.

Thankfully this scrape didn't cause any major aircraft or people damage, but if it did...would the 39 lbs. of gas with no training been worth it?

This is the last time I agree with TonyC...

I know we're not supposed to squeeze the Yoke too hard, but geez! Don't worry, it's just a yolk.

So riddle me this Batman, are we supposed to send everyone back to training so they can perform windshear profile takeoffs? Because that will drive you to a 15/0 takeoff. What if the climb gradient requires a 15/0 takeoff? We have to pull someone off the trip and deadhead another pilot in who can do the takeoff? The fact is we have all had training on 15/0 takeoffs during initial and a little word of caution should have been all that was needed. Just my opinion.