View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 12:53 PM
galaxy flyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

aa73, Jughead135,

It's definitely an outlier. I get to visit a lot of corporate departments and have been in two before I went to EA in '85. Most of us running the show, including the Chief are ex-mil, so we run it like out ideal squadron would run. We have great support from the head office and it's a big company which has advantages.

The smaller departments flying Citation/Lear sized planes and charter operators are pretty much as FTB says, no argument. The larger companies, international operators flying bigger planes tend, TEND to be more organized, scheduled and run professionally. The "old head" chiefs remember the exodus caused by airline hiring and poor scheduling and try to avoid it. We pretty much know what we're doing, in terms of days, if not details a month ahead. Last month, I knew this month what days I'd be flying and where, but the details, 3 days from leaving are still in flux. This would drive many crazy I mostly like it and roll with the punches. I like being involved in the planning, selecting hotels, the details rather than letting the schedulers run amok.

Yes, corporate jobs can turn on a dime and disappear; the good news is no seniority system, no starting at the bottom. Several of our guys left this year, bought out by more money (lots) or a chance to be a Director of a department.

We have our downsides--holiday trips, occasional Africa trips, sometimes too long a layover, which depends on where. I just had 5 days of in Geneva--great; but 8 off in Dubai is a ticket to the looney bin.

Mind, I would still advise a young guy or gal starting out-- DL would be the best career opportunity

GF