Thread: Sue the FAA?
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 08:43 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by UnderOveur View Post
I understand that. I simply fail to see how person A, with a 4 year degree, 1200 TT 100 turbine 200 ME, CFI/CFII/MEI is less qualified than a K-st. Aviation grad with 1000 TT CFI/CFII/MEI for an ATP rating (even if it is "restricted").

The FAA is claiming there is a big difference between the two, to the tune of 500 flight hours. At $100/flt hr (just to put a value on it), that's $50,000.

Oh, I agree whole-heartedly. I'm just saying that the FAA's decision making in this situation is well within the scope of their regulatory authority. The decision holds up well in the light of day, at least to the general public...a typical juror, judge, or average citizen will see nothing wrong with extra credit for someone who focused their education on aviation.

Of course those of us in the industry know that aviation training is inherently vocational, not educational...sort of like a BS degree in welding or truck driving.

I'd rather have a co-pilot with part 61 flight training and an engineering degree. If they grant an exception for "Aviation Studies" they should grant an exception for all engineering and science degrees. Hell, make it all four-year degrees.

I don't mind the exception for military pilots since they almost all have a degree, have proven technical piloting skills, and have demonstrated significant maturity. But the reality is that the military exception will benefit only a very tiny fraction of military pilots since the vast majority will have 1500+ hours by the time they finish their active duty commitment anyway. It only benefits a few guard babies and maybe a guy who got grounded for medical reasons.