View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 07:30 PM
krudawg
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: 747 Captain, retired

Originally Posted by Lindenberg View Post
I am interested in buying a 150. In theory I'd buy it, fly it like crazy for a few months, then sell. All in hopes to have no maintenance issues and only plan on flying for 200-300 hours. The cheapest 150 around to rent from a flight school is $87 an hour so if all went to plan it would work out well. I know nothing in aviation goes to plan but i can still hope. Any suggestions, previous experience with this, or ideas would be appreciated.
You will have maintenance expenses, trust me. It can be a radio issue, ELT Battery, AD's or as simple as an oil change every 50 or 100 hours. You will also have tie-down expense ($75-$100/month) and insurance (if you don't finance the plane, Liability Ins. at the very least)
I purchased an airplane back in the early 70's and put about 800 hours on it and sold it in 1980 for exactly what I paid for it (it was a 72 Beech Sport with damage history). But between those years maintenance issues would always creep up (including some major engine work because I bought the airplane with damage history and the AI (Mechanic) failed to repair it correctly. But if you calculate it all out, owning for the sake of "time-building" is a real money saver and convenient. Best of luck...