View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 07:52 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Chance and Luck

Originally Posted by iPilot88 View Post
Skyhigh, you are actually one of the people that talk negatively about the airlines but I want to thank you for that. Seriously. Your posts have made me think long and hard about this decision.

I'm pretty sure you went to real estate. That is another interest of mine. My father is a real estate broker so I have learned some. Last year I flipped a house and sold it for double what I paid. I'm just not sure I could make a career out of real estate.

I'm young and just really not sure what route to take.

I want to thank everyone for their responses.
Recently Alaska Airlines had an application opening, over 4000 current and qualified applicants took the time to submit an application during the small window of time that it was open. Only 40 were hired.

4000 thousand applicants with college educations and over 1000 house of turbine PIC. Even after surviving all that their odds were still only one hundred to one of getting hired.

No matter how you slice it aviation is a long shot. Most of a pilots career outcome relies on luck and circumstance. In real estate or most other careers a person has the option of trying harder than the next guy and getting ahead. As pilots we have to make blind guesses and place our faith into the hands of faceless executives to make choices that are in our best interest. Not a good negotiating place to be in life.

In my case I earned more money and had a better life during times when I was laid off from flying than when I was gainfully "employed". Real estate is not easy but your odds of success improve over time.

Skyhigh