Thread: Sue the FAA?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 03:36 AM
mspano85
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2013

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
So for those airlines that you say put GPA/Major in the equation - what do you really think that tells about a person maybe 20+ years later?
If you say a tie breaker then I think you are stretching.
A guy good with numbers might be a snap at engineering and an awful writer who couldn't string two coherent thoughts together much less write an analytical paper - and vice versa - a person capable of copious analysis and technical writing might not be able to add 2+2.
Generally people are impressed with math skills so the technical degrees (especially engineering) get the raised eyebrows.
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
I don't know, perhaps the assumption is good habits at an early age tend to stick with someone?

I'm just saying some majors consider it (known fact), not really advocating it myself. But if you're going to consider GPA, you should look at the what that really means on a case-by-case basis...which would include major and institution.
Originally Posted by pilotnicco View Post
I respectfully disagree. I would say that would be the case, if you went to the naval academy, or the air force academy, but that's about it. Like I said earlier, you could be the most intellectual person on earth and gone to an ivy-league, even graduated with an amazing GPA however, none of that's going to mean a damn, if you have low flight time and and are a poor pilot. Also, if you're an engineering major, at MIT, why are you involved in professional airline flying? You could be working a much higher paying job, probably buy your own plane and fly for fun?
I got my 4 year degree in Respiratory Therapy. I graduated with a 3.42 GPA. Being that it is healthcare, a 3.42 is the lower end of the spectrum. If you got below 3.2 you were, if the Program Director thought necessary, out of the program. There was little tolerance for not doing well as these people will have people's lives in their hands. By my senior year, the class was less than half of what it was when it started.

That being said, you had to intern at the hospitals as well, with a lot of patient to student interaction. On top of that, criticism and/or praise from Physicians and other RTs that are training you. That is where I nailed it. All the other students, at the time, had all the book smarts, but performing in front a live audience was just a completely different ball game.

I rode my 3.42 in the classroom, but I outperformed all the 4.0s in the live setting.

We were all Greenhorns in a sense at the time, so that I'm sure has a lot to do with it. I'm sure over time in the work force their confidence levels rose and they are much much better, which is to be expected with experience. However, some will never be cut out for that ER setting.