Thread: EY questions
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 04:02 AM
RemoveB4flght
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by EYBusdriver View Post
Remove..do you know of any ex RJ pilots without Bus or Boeing experience who got hired?
The ones I do know are not enough to crew a 340 to JFK, but with so many new hires who knows..

Originally Posted by Dripstick View Post
is there a number of hours already included in the basic salary?
The hourly pay (yes for every block hour) and layover allowance will usually amount to less than 20% of monthly take home pay. The idea is to have better parity between fleets, hourly pay is not protected if you go under block, picking up extra flying is not always profitable since overtime is averaged over two months. Plan to budget basic + 15 %.

Housing allowance or Company accommodation decision should probably be made after you are in country and are able to see options first hand.

EK has a provident fund(company matched retirement), which is probably the biggest overall difference in compensation.

I'm thinking with EK being such a huge airline now, chances for career progression as a FO are much more limited than EY...
Direct entry captains are a reality in almost all of the airlines in this region, so while career progression cannot be based solely on aircraft orders, I would agree that time to possibility of command is less. Company upgrade minimums are 4500-5500, plus time in company, time on type, time in a/c over 60tons etc. There is also an interview/screening process since backgrounds and experience are so varied. Wide body progression should occur relatively quickly, and depending on individual experience, perhaps as soon as 4 years to command.