Old 01-23-2006, 02:03 PM
RedeyeAV8r
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Originally Posted by SkyHigh
I am sure that from your perspective you are accomplishing something great however compared to pilots of yesteryear or in other lines of aviation you have it good. I agree that it does take some concentration at times. However the situations that you mentioned might only appear every 6 months to a year in the sim or never in real life. As for the rest of it a sim instructors goal is to force those decisions into your head in the form of rote memorization, no thinking just regurgitation at the proper moment. Also I don't think that your dispatch would send you anywhere that they didn't have the fullest expectations of your safe arrival. If you fly a 747 long haul then you probably only get two or three landings a month, and I am sure that is pretty scary. Keep telling yourself that stuff though.

SkyHigh
Now I know your not an airline Pilot by your lack of knowledge and misinformation.

First I fly an MD11 (not a 747). I fly both long haul international and short haul domestic. I get way more than 3 landings in a month.......

My Dispatch........(Purple/orange Freight carrrier) will send me anywhere anytime., doesn't matter what the weather is....as long as I have a legal alternate.............They do it on a daily (nightly in my case) basis. Ever flown into a 3rd world country?? Controllers speak marginal english and airports and nav equipment are unreliable.

Those situations I mentioned happen on every trip..............not all at once but individually. It is just routine( loss of engines is an exception) We consistenly are flying in and around typhoons throught out Asia..............Gusty crosswinds are the norm everywhere. It is just routine.

Cat 3 approaches..................try SEA/TAC at 400am or anywhere in the San Jacquine valley in the winter. again just routine
I am not tooting my own horn.............it is what we (ALL) professional pilots do on a daily basis. Yes it becomes common place for us...................................by the way, a apindectomy or open heart surgery is routine.......for a qualified surgeon.