View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 06:57 AM
WARich
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2012
Position: Babysitter

Originally Posted by Sliceback View Post
Probably 15 yrs ago flying with a guy that had spent 20 yrs in fighters. A-10, F-16, A-10 tours. All flying, no staff assignments. Hired into the right seat of the 767. It was interesting asking him his impressions -

School - only 2 weeks of GS? Military packs 2 months into 5-7 months.
Size - walk arounds and I can't reach most of the stuff I'm looking at?
- ducking under the wing? I can't reach it with a ladder.
- there's stuff in the cockpit I can't even reach?
- I can stand in the cockpit?
Checklists - how long are they? Especially QRH's for flight control/flap issues?
- the other guy has to do stuff because I can't reach them or need help during emergencies)
Ground operations - length, speed and complexity of taxi clearances. Additional duties, beyond just taxiing, while on the ground and the plane is moving.
Amount of radio chatter, especially at major airports, on the ground.

He said the flying was simple(he flew very well) but the other stuff was a mind twisting experience because it was completely different from what he was used to.
Man, you guys make it sound like we can't walk and chew gum at the same time........ Try being in a stack with half a dozen different assets in the middle of Afghanistan during a TIC with multiple dudes screaming into different radios......just saying...... Though, so true, the military does love to pack a 2 month program into 6 months.....lol

I think it's safe to say, that no matter what your background once you get to the big guys most have the experience (whatever that may be), to adapt.