View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 08:10 AM
Bucking Bar
Can't abide NAI

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Douglas Aerospace post production Flight Test & Work Around Engineering bulletin dissembler

Originally Posted by contrails View Post
That guy is just creating his own mess.

I really enjoy the increased professionalism of the controllers at EWR. (in my opinion)
EWR held us high for helicopter traffic below. As a result we're cleared to land but pressing hard to meet the constraints for a technically stable approach on 22L. Tower clears a business jet to land 11. After a moment of blissful patting ourselves on the back for nailing the criteria at 1,000 & 500 we're about 100 feet when Tower cancels our landing clearance... low energy flaps 40 go around ... OK, called tower, "XXX was cleared for the visual, where do you want us?" (visual pattern would conflict with other NYC traffic). The reply was "uhm..." and then Tower went off air. When they returned they said "fly the published missed." We reminded them of our clearance + conflicting traffic, which resulted in their again going non com. Since we were apparently on our own, we called with our intentions to just fly the EWR2, then towards SBJ, which was the only area clear of traffic. Eventually (and I mean several minutes later) we were given a clearance which matched what we had done.

FAA Program Manager on our Jumpseat giving the Boss a line check while this whole thing went down ... ugh ... Newark. He seemed happy enough with what we had done ... no debrief, no paperwork.

Still, it would be preferable if Newark didn't run business jets underneath you to crossing runways. In this day of having 250 wanna be documentarian photographers on board, you don't want to have a picture taken out the window be full of a business jet rolling out on the runway you just went missed from. Too interesting by far.