View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 04:44 AM
Probe
Don't say Guppy

Joined APC: Dec 2010
Position: Guppy driver

KaptLt;
I only agree with about half of what you said. I think for the right individual, Emirates can be a great deal. What is the right person?

Maybe 30-40, married with kids. Kids go to world class schools free. You get a 3-7 year path to wide body Capt.

Flying? Some is great. Doing nothing but India turns at night? Maybe not so much.

It is non-commuting.

It is not for me, and many others. I have never given it a second thought. But for some............good deal.

ANA has probably been the best deal long term. Lots of money, and time off. The biggest negative is that it is a 767. Great plane, I have many thousands of hours in 75/76. But for a contract pilot it is a bit of a dead end right now. There are very few opportunities now, and for the past few years.

A couple of the Chinese jobs are OK as well, with huge money, tax paid locally. If you are a US citizen, you will not only not owe any US tax, you earn foreign tax credits for future US taxes.

If Emirates was a commuting contract I might have considered it. If I was 32 with kids in school - same.

The best contract job? I guess it is up to the individual. I am back at my legacy carrier in the US, planning my escape back to the contract world. This time for good.