View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 07:24 AM
flyforit
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2013
Default Failed Checkride- Labour Action?

Hi, I've really enjoyed reading the failed check ride posts in my research.

I understand the common theme of "be honest, be brief, and highlight what has been learned".
I've tried to do that below, I really appreciate advice for this case.

I failed a reactivation and differences training check ride as an FO on the B735 ,after a prolonged period off work due to medical, during which the company upgraded from B732 to B735. At the time I had 1000 hours line flying on the 732, and I'd never failed any training or proficiency previously- both on this and other types I'd flown P1 and P2, and needless to say, there were circumstances, from both sides, those I have I have addressed to the best of my ability.

Usually the situation would result in a retest, but the company held a review board, of which the result was a demotion to the previous held position as a Captain on a smaller aircraft the company operated.

Knowing it was unfair but unable to reverse the decision once made, the company (unofficially) encouraged me to take labour action - seriously - to the point my lawyer could not believe the feeling conveyed from their side at meetings we had. It was a process that had to be followed, and behind closed doors managers apologise profusely. For me, despite the realisation it may look bad at a later point (aka right now :-0), I had to follow this path.

At some point, the process taking so long, I decided to resign awaiting the decision of reactivation, and if the labour hearing found against my appeal, I was happy to be on my way rather than accept a demotion, regardless of my enjoyment working for the company - it was how I felt would work best for myself personally.

At the end of the day, I was awarded what I had asked for. I received my job back, to accept within a period of delay from the time of leave.

Due to family reasons, I had already accepted another job, and was hoping to get quickly back into something else, but this all happened in 2008 and jobs dried up. Although the offer from my previous employer is still open, I am looking further abroad - and now, 5 years later I have a few interviews looming with some majors.

I realise no company wants an employee who takes labour action, but in my defence, the stand point I took completely changed the company from a victimisation to a fair play training environment, and although it's not a great record, from what I hear, it did both clear my name and clear the training evaluation and review process for all following me, and I believe both fellow employees and the company appreciated what happened.

For me, I moved to a position teaching MCC, and learnt a lot there, made some friends and realised my mistakes, and I believe I've improved my cockpit procedures 10x at least. I'm considering both going back or going elsewhere, but, await the timing.

My question here is...if you could be bothered to read it all... how will this sound on an interview?

Thanks for your time, I hope some of you can be honest, and please be brutally honest. Fluff doesn't help anyone.

Above all and thanks for letting me get it off my chest.