View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 11:15 AM
hitimefurl
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2011

Originally Posted by index View Post
I see your point. Let me rephrase.

The worst thing that can happen is for ALPA to keep its head buried in the sand, pretend like they are performing flawlessly, and continue to let the representation controversy brew.

Remember the F/A representation election that was voted down? Have you heard a peep out the F/A union since then? I haven't. Why not get this behind us one way or another and move on?

When I said to send in your card, call for a vote, and let the membership vote "no," what I really should've said was let the membership chose to retain ALPA as their bargaining agent---or not.
I think we are saying the same thing. I don't think even the most die hard ALPA volunteer thinks they are flawless. Maybe one or two but I think there's a fine line between ALPA saying we didn't get everything you asked for and we failed you. The DPA is just saying FAIL. To some that's true but in the grand scheme of things I could never imagine having this conversation when we were in bankruptcy. Who know Delta would be #1?

I think being humble would be good, but the DPA isn't allowing ALPA to do that because all they do is blame. Id' like to blame my wife and kids for not having enough money but that's not going to work either. I don't know if you've seen them but the IAM is organizing the FAs right now. They have cute little bag tags that saw I AM DTW with the IAM slightly spaced out.

The way for pilots to "chose" ALPA is to stand up and support your reps and stay involved. I went to a training pub on Virginia Ave and I really felt included and not talked down to or my words dismissed. They listened and answered candidly. I even went over to see the office after my sim. It's pretty impressive. I don't know why they don't show more of the "good" stuff they do. They jobs they save. The scheduling issues they win. Guys are getting 85 hours of inverse assignment pay in some cases. We never hear about these so called wins. It's cliche but I'm wearing my ALPA pin and I try to make sure to see my reps when they come in to the lounge and let them know I do support them. I don't want to do their job and they don't always vote the way I'd like but they do respond to me when I call and write no matter where they are in the world. I couldn't ask for better service when I do need it and I always hope I don't but sometimes I step on my own crank.