View Single Post
Old 01-24-2006, 01:08 PM
TankerDriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005

Originally Posted by Tanker-driver
Just saw the post above and realized that its an incredibly long rant. Sorry -- sometimes I just get a little excited about these things.
Amen tanker-brotha! I'm laughing my rear end off. You took the words right out of my mouth. To add some more to the rant, I am constantly amazed at how many pilots I meet in the AF that really aren't into flying all that much. Their first time flying an aircraft was in UPT or IFT (PPL) and couldn't tell you the difference between a C172 and a PA28 or a 737 from a 757 and the best part is, they don't give a crap either. However, they love themselves some staff work and getting as many bullets on their OPR as they can!! I have been amazed since the get go in the AF at how quickly we upgrade to the left seat. Whether you're ready or not, it doesn't matter. You're going and like T-D said, it's more of a check in the box than anything. So, we've got copilots with 800-1000 hours of flying circles over Iraq going to the left seat with no other real world experience and guess who's arse it is when the poop hits the fan? This is how accidents happen. The lack of proficiency here with some of our pilots is not even funny. It's like you have to turn the pilot job on and off like a switch. This month I'm a secretary, next month I may be a pilot again. And oh by the way, I've got a check ride coming up next month so I better get as much as I can out of that 1 flight I get this month to stay current (again, a check in the box more than anything). Aarrrgh!!! Sorry, just venting like T-D.

It is important for people interested in the military to get the full story and not just a recruiter's story. I wish I would have known the real deal before signing, because I'm not so sure I would have if I did. Keep in mind, this could be all airframe/community specific. You'd be amazed at how differently people do things at other tanker bases alone, not even in other MAJCOMs like ACC.

BTW, Direct link to payscales and if anyone needs an explanation of mil pay, the dod sight above it where to go:

http://www.dod.mil/dfas/money/milpay...%20updated.pdf