View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Neosporin
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: outside

Originally Posted by PROFILE CLIMB View Post
All flight schools Will tell you that there is an upcoming pilot shortage. I myself am very skeptical I have been talking to older pilots this rumor circulated for many many years. I'm an older student pilot and I don't think I have a great career as a pilot because of my age however talking to old-school pilots say I don't have a chance, however talking to flight schools who is happy to take my money they say yeah go for it. I myself am very skeptical of this so-called pilot shortage I don't think I ever will be one, I think it will always be a plentiful supply people who want to fly so therefore there will never be a shortage, So what are your thoughts on this mythical pilot shortage, Fact or fiction?
OMG you guys, there is most certainly a need for hiring into the majors and shortage at the bottom end will occur. If you are qualified as few have said here, get to a regional, upgrades will accelerate and because all the regional pilots mentioned will have to fill the seats at the big three or 4. retirements will occur. For every retirement there are two out on medical. reserve rest rules etc. Delta peaks out at 800 retirements per year in three or four years, the other 400-600 per year, all ifs, but if the airlines stay the same size, the replacements have to come from the regionals and few mil guy/gals. reserve at a major, no likely, hired into a wide body like 2005-6 at CAL and DAL possible. The numbers are here, anyone can do the math.

Someone mentioned don't be in a hurry...what? Be i a hurry. Get that 1500 hours and get on the list, 1500 hour thing is gonna take time unlike the past of getting hired with 350 hours to fly an RJ.

It'll be a frenzy, older major guys are out of the loop and most don't know what it's like to get hired these days, airlines really haven't hired,

I say don't hesitate and go for it, get your time and degree all lined up for some quick movement.

would I tell my son or daughter to get into the business, NO, but if you are headed that way, don't delay.

I am not selling anything just optimistic for an older person not thinking there is an opportunity, compared to some here that treat this issue like global warming, this will actually happen.

Good luck to those that want this!!