Thread: jetBlue Hiring
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Kellwolf
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: A320 FO

Originally Posted by P-3Bubba View Post
How long for a Delta bankruptcy? The point is that JetBlue has a good thing going. They've weathered a few storms and come out with no furloughs and bankruptcy. To say that is one thing, but say it in the post 9/11 environment and it means something. I'll now comment on the legacy retirements. Legacy's, especially Delta and now Amercian, know that to make $ today you need to have a premium product and utilize on international routes. Flying to Miskokie, OK is contract work to the lowest bidder on larger 90 seat aircraft which still offer 1st Class. I believe the large number of jobs everyone is drooling over are going to be reduced by larger regional aircraft and legacy's not replacing older 320's, 73's and 88's w/ Legacy pilots. Are there retirements? Sure. Will there be jobs and movement at Legacy's where there has been stagnation for the last 14 years. Yes. But will the gates open and everyone hired at a Legacy in 2014 be a 777 Caltain in 5 years. Dream on! It's about a strong brand with sustainable profitability and growth.
Let's not forget the other end of the equation: international codeshares and larger a/c. Rather than fly those A320s 3 times a day, why not fly a 757 twice with a C-Series RJ tossed in the mix? Rather than fly your own 777 from JFK-CDG, code share with Air France and let them do it. I'm sure Delta bought a large stake in Virgin Atlantic just for S&Gs.....

I'm okay with international (note INTERNATIONAL) codeshares here at jetBlue. I don't see is doing anything like JFK-LHR or Dubai or Paris or South Africa, so management can knock themselves out signing up international codeshare partners. It's money in the bank for us. For legacy carriers, though, that's a net loss of jobs as they sign more codeshare deals in the long run. Don't get me started on this "unlimited domestice codeshare" we keep getting taunted with. We don't need to go near that with a 10 ft pole.