Thread: MD10 vs MD11
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 02:43 PM
highflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: MD11 Capt

Originally Posted by RedeyeAV8r View Post
I didn't say anything about wanting a different type rating.
I was referring to Bid Packs being separated.
Please name someone that flys aircraft with much larger differences in a similar environment as we do, especially one that can be forced to fly an MD-10 on an AM out/back tonight and 12 hours later fly an MD-11 around the world............

I said they were not the same airplane. They handle differently, Land differently and have at least 132 differences that I have counted.......and as referenced in Vol 3.

The DC-9 and MD-80 ( also Douglas Built Airplanes) have the same type rating, but they are different airplanes too..............

The MD-80's systems for the most part are the same as the DC-9 (much more similar the comparing the MD-10/ 11) but it is longer than the DC-9 (like the MD-11 to the MD-10), has a modifed wing, (like the MD-11 to the MD-10) has different motors and handles different, especially landing. (again like the MD-11 to the MD-10)

I believe Delta flew DC-9s when they had MD-80's. Let's here from them if they flew them together or in a separate Bid-pack even though it had the same type.

They currently fly the MD-90 (or is it the B-717 now) and still have MD-80's.
I wonder if they fly them together or separate.

Any Delta Pilot please feel free to chime in!

That is the Point I am making and I believe Tony is trying to make.
Redeye,

IIRC, when Delta had the DC-9 they posted it on a separate bid. i.e. there were no MD-88 types flying the -9. As for the MD-88 and 717 flying, I'm not sure but I know there were no -9 pilots flying the -88 and vice versa.