Thread: If you shine like a diamond in a goat's a**, why change ?

RedeyeAV8r , 04-11-2007 03:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off
RedeyeAV8r
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jan 2006
Quote: I think the professor's point was that we need to change our thinking. It costs millions of dollars to train a military pilot (and his/her replacement); many would rather stay in the cockpit for a career. Not all can or want to be generals. The concept of Limited Duty Officer exists in many militaries throughout the world. Tell someone that they can fly that fighter for twenty years, never be promoted above Major until they make LtCol. the day they retire. There will be a lot of takers who go to an airline the day they have twenty years of service.

There is a Flaw in your thinking.

First off I flew for many years in the Military and when I was young, I felt the same way. Just let me fly my fighter all I want and I'll stay.

Being older and wiser now, here is what would happen.
If there was such a Policy, the True Pilots would be the ones who would stay in the squadron and the Weak Dicks or candy asses would be the only ones going to high level schools and getting the command jobs.

No real fighter pilot wants to go to Command and Staff college or Army War college and then do a staff tour in the Pentagon or some other Pencil pushing job.

The problem is you want GOOD pilots (real warriors) in some of those Jobs. If the only ones who take those jobs are the Candy Asses or Butt Sharks as we use to call them they will be the ones who run things. Do you want every Senior Officer to be some weak dick candy ass...........that is what you would end up with because with your suggested program, all the good pilots would stay at the Field grade level or below and then get out.............