Thread: ATP practical
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Jughead135
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011
Position: Hates Commuting

Originally Posted by Puddyhog View Post
Has anyone heard of getting a guard guy who is also an FAA examiner to give an ATP checkride in a military aircraft? Talking to my Dad, this was a common occurrence in the '60s, but don't know when/why it fell out of vogue. It was always silly to me to get an ATP in a twin engine reciprocating plane that we would never touch again...
Depends on what you fly--has to be a typed aircraft (since if there's no FAA type, there's no FAA examiner in said type...). Otherwise, it's doable.

Doesn't even have to be a Guard guy. There is a mechanism to put any FAA-credentialed examiner on a military aircraft as MEP. YMMV on whatever BS you have to go through to get it approved, though I suspect that may be easier in the Guard world than AD. A sticking point may be what happens to your mission profile with an MEP on board (practice EPs, etc.)? Bottom line, I saw it done in the KC-135 (where the biggest challenge was finding a 707 examiner).

My last job on AD was at the RC-135 schoolhouse (which is a blended AD/Guard unit). I know some of the Guardsmen were looking into becoming DEs for exactly this purpose; not sure if they've made any progress. Good luck!