View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 07:48 AM
Grumble
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by grkero View Post
Here's a copy & paste gouge from August...

I can not stress the importance of interview prep & sim prep in Denver prior to the interview. I was well prepared which results in confidence rather than being nervous. Practice your TMAAT questions until your delivery is smooth.
Arrived to the DEN TK :30 early
Met w Doris. She reviewed my paperwork & submitted log books etc. She gave me an "A+"
Called in to interview:15 early for my 2 person panel interview: DEN Chief Pilot & HOU HR (who I met in person a month prior)
They went over rules of engagement (stories could be aviation or non-aviation)

Was asked a couple "ice breaker" achievement questions on resume
Take 5 minutes going over your resume & career
TMAAT you resolved a problem w the help of others
TMAAT you helped someone w a task that didn't ask for it
TMAAT you had a conflict at work & how you resolved it
TMAAT you lost credibility w a coworker
What are attributes of a good/great captain?
Anything else you would like us to know?

As previously posted, they're great about putting you at ease. 3/4 through the interview, it seemed like the panel turned the corner & spoke to me as a fellow coworker/new hire rather than a pilot candidate.

Sim @ LAX:
T.O. Rwy 25L to 3,000', vectors, climbs ect. 1-360* steep turn @ 5000'. Climb to 10,000' accelerate to 270KIAS, vectors. Descend to 3000' for vectors to ILS 25R. Missed appch to 2000'. Auto pilot on: LAX closed due to a security breech. Poor WX, low fuel, what are you going to do?

A hiring board meets w/in 2 weeks & makes a final decision. I received the conditional offer 8 days later via phone call from Doris (who's a sweetheart). Relax & be yourself. United wants & needs pilots due to the huge retirements. Just like anything; if you put in the work, the results will payoff in the end.
I can't add anything beyond this. Spot on. I went sim then panel, guys seem to be about 50/50 either way. Can't say enough good things about everyone involved. It really is like pilot Disneyland, and the whole thing is over before you even know it.