View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Lab Rat
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: Jet Pilot

Originally Posted by Apokleros View Post
But how will applicants know that they'll get a call? If they don't, then they're left ten thousand $ in the hole.

Furthermore, what good is a type-rating without time in said type?

I don't mean to be a pain in the rear by asking so many questions; I'm only genuinely curious, that's all. I would tend to think that a successful airline like SW would be able to afford to train their new-hires like most airlines do.
But how will applicants know that they'll get a call? If they don't, then they're left ten thousand $ in the hole.
They do not know. You are correct in saying that one could spend thousands of dollars on a type rating only to never have it pay off in their favor. This is why one must do the pro vs con analysis when contemplating who to work for. Personally, while I really respect SWA and think they are a great company, I refused to pay for my own type rating in the "hopes" of ever getting a call from them. I just did not want to work for them that bad.

Furthermore, what good is a type-rating without time in said type?
It isn't.

I would tend to think that a successful airline like SW would be able to afford to train their new-hires like most airlines do.
I'm a capitalist through and through and a firm believer in free-market economics. The ONLY reason SWA can do this is because the market allows for it - i.e., there is more than an adequate supply of people attaining 737 type ratings (either paying for it themselves or earning one at a different carrier). While I would not pay for my own type rating, at the same time I cannot fault SWA management for requiring a 737 type rating.