Old 09-16-2013, 10:20 PM
TMoney
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: 717 Sidekick

Originally Posted by What View Post
Fellow Pilot,

Prolonged economic downturn, consolidation, high fuel prices, and an increased focus on capacity discipline has led mainlines to constrain affiliate capacity, focus on larger more fuel efficient jets, and reduce the overall costs they pay to FFD carriers. This includes an increased focus on FFD pilot block hour costs. With stagnation in the industry increasing longevity costs at some carriers, there is a wide disparity in pilot block hour costs.

The economic factors listed above, along with an increase to the regulated retirement age, have limited career growth opportunities as well as slowed hiring. This resulted in increased longevity among FFD pilots during the past 10 years. At some airlines — Eagle and Endeavor (formerly Pinnacle), for example — higher average longevity has been one of the biggest cost drivers in those contracts. Pilot longevity also played a huge role in making Comair financially uncompetitive.
These are quotes from each company. This isn't made up.

2013 Q2 Earnings:

AMR

In the second quarter of 2013, GAAP net profit was $220 million, a $461 million
improvement compared to the prior-year period. Excluding reorganization and special
items, second quarter 2013 net profit was $357 million, a $262 million improvement
compared to the prior-year period. This record setting quarterly result was bolstered by a
June during which the company recorded its best monthly profit, excluding
reorganization and special items, in its history.

US Airways Group

"So if you adjust for that and look at the pre-tax number and look at pretax, excluding special items, what you will see is we had a record $409 million pretax profit for the quarter. We're extremely pleased with that."

SkyWest Inc

St. George, Utah—SkyWest, Inc. (“SkyWest”) (NASDAQ: SKYW) today reported net income
of $20.7 million, or $0.39 per diluted share, for the quarter ended June 30, 2013, compared to net
income of $17.0 million, or $0.33 per diluted share, for the same period last year

United Continental Holdings:

United Airlines (UAL) today reported second-quarter 2013 net income of $521 million, or $1.35 per diluted share, excluding $52 million of special charges. Including special charges, UAL reported second-quarter 2013 net income of $469 million, an increase of 38 percent year-over-year, or $1.21 per diluted share.

Delta Air Lines Inc

"Richard H. Anderson - CEO: Thank you. Good morning, everyone. We reported an $840 million pre-tax profit for the June quarter. We increased our earnings year-on-year by $255 million, grew passenger revenue by $63 million year-on-year, expanded our pre-tax margin by 2.6 points to 8.7%, generated operating cash flow of $1.3 billion and earned $0.98 per share, beating First Call consensus of $0.95 per share. "

Republic Airways Holding:

"Republic Airways Holdings Inc. (RJET) today reported diluted earnings per share of $0.46, which is a 15.0% increase from the $0.40 per diluted share result in the second quarter of 2012. Net income increased 23.0% to $24.6 million for the quarter ended June 30, 2013, compared to net income of $20.0 million for the same period last year."

How is it that every airline that any of us work for is profitable and they need us to give up money?? I'm not an economics major and maybe this is too simple of an argument but it sure doesn't seem that times are so hard for the people that write our pay checks. I am wavering on being pro union here at SkyWest but ALPA seems like a joke. I hope everyone votes no to concessions so we can get a piece of these profits...or at least not take a cut. I hope PSA holds stong! Love the STW movement and proud of Eagle for what they did! I'll be the first to vote no here at SkyWest if they ask for us to give up anything.