Old 09-18-2013, 01:07 PM
justjack
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009

Originally Posted by CanoePilot View Post
But in all honesty what could it really do in the end? The doj will continue unless it feels it can't or is in danger of an uncertain outcome in court. Holding signs and speaking with congressmen will only work for pr and the cameras.
Strictly speaking, voting is not a rational choice, particularly if you vote red and live in a blue state or vote blue and live in a red state and yet nearly 60% of eligible voters turned out in the 2012 presidential election. Unless one can say with 100% certainty that this activism will make 0% change, then the appropriate response to these folks is a simple "Thank you for taking the time."
I think that one of the salient issues in this merger is whether or not American has alternatives outside of a merger. The fact that the American employees are committed to this merger is huge and their continued support outside this merger is doubtful, thus increasing the possibility of the House paying attention. The DOJ has argued that the merger is unnecessary for the survival of American and as we all know, there are certain re-election behaviors that both political parties engage in. If one of the main tenets of the DOJ’s case is shown to be flawed (American’s survival outside of the merger) then House members risk alienating voters if they do nothing if, in fact, the merger does not go through and American does not survive as a result.
I don't know if this will change the outcome, but I am certain that doing nothing should never be an option. There’s too much at stake.

Last edited by justjack; 09-18-2013 at 01:27 PM.