View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 10:41 AM
eman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2012
Default How can I network better?

Hey all.

I'm starting to search for a job and am dying to work corporate again. I don't think my networking is very effective but I can't say I don't try. What I used to do was stick around the FBO lobbies and introduce myself to flight crews, make talk and ask if I could keep them updated via email and add them to my network. I met a lot of really nice Captains who were kind and allowed me or would tell me to call "so and so"; and thus my network grew. Also I'd knock on doors at my two local airports.

I also keep my friends who work at FBO's and some Captains I know updated. Not much came of it before, other than more contacts and one possible job. That was enough to make me feel rewarded for my efforts.

Anyways, I'm tired of the orange website and have little faith in job websites altogether, especially since I really want to live and fly in the Northeast and other places I don't live in.

Could people please lend me their advice or ideas on how to be much better at this and also how NOT to annoy people? I get the feeling some Capt's and probably just being nice and entertaining me. I can honestly say only about 3 have been true d!cks. but i dont blame them. It's nerve-wracking for me to approach strangers. It's not difficult to get a crappy job but when trying to convince a department or 135 company to give me a chance without their type and time I already know it's going to make me feel like crap.

I'm even considering shelling out the money and paying a staffing company that gets results...bad idea?

My experience to date is:
3500tt 1000pic turbine 135, 3400 pic, 2000 multi, 1 1/2 year of 135 exp. and 3 years 91 experience doing all kind of duties to earn my honest pay and I loved it. Flown a bit of Pilatus, mostly the Metro and a mix of piston twins of which most was in the chieftain and Aerostar.

Thanks in advance!

Excuse any misspellings, I'm on my phone.