View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 01:00 PM
GSXR
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Position: Yes

I believe Eastern ATC has it right. FAAO 7110.65 (controllers handbook) 4-1-1 specifies the limitations on navaid use. 4-1-2 allows deviation from the requirements if the controller provides radar monitoring and as (if) necessary course guidance. Further if the aircraft is equiped with /E,F,G or R (FMS/GPS/RNAV) course guidance should not be required. The only thing I will add is that the controller can't issue the approach clearance until the aircraft is established on a published portion of the approach or issues an altitude to maintain that meets MVA/terrain/procedural requirements until established on a published portion. It may be that ATC uses it that far out routinely and they know it works well enough to provide the required guidance and they are radar monitoring.

4−1−1. ALTITUDE AND DISTANCE
LIMITATIONS
When specifying a route other than an established
airway or route, do not exceed the limitations in the
table on any portion of the route which lies within
controlled airspace.

4−1−2. EXCEPTIONS
Altitude and distance limitations need not be applied
when any of the following conditions are met:
a.
Routing is initiated by ATC or requested by the
pilot and the following is provided:

Radar monitoring.

As necessary, course guidance unless the

aircraft is /E, /F, /G, or /R equipped.

So in my opinion (which is worthless) the answer to the original question is that the clearance was appropriate. Using the box and flying white line to the localizer would have been appropriate. Once established on the "published" portion you are by default within the service volume unless the facilty is restricted/NOTAMed for some distance other than what is published and it would be appropriate at that time to transition to green needle. As always, if there is a question about a clearance, ask. If there are differing opinions within the pilot group (that never happens right?) might be a good question for training/standards.

And for USMC