Thread: Silver Airways
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 06:24 PM
OldSF3Dude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: O-2 pilot

Originally Posted by kingairfun View Post
That might be the single most arrogant, misinformed post I've ever read, especially to a guy looking for information about getting into the flying side of the industry...
Sorry if I came off as arrogant, but you didn't have to go through the heart ache of losing a sim partner like I did. He was devastated. And it wasn't like he didn't try. I hate to see anybody go into this not knowing the facts. It sounds like the guy can go back to his old job if anything goes wrong so I guess his bases are covered and I wish him luck.

Getting hired and ground school isn't going to be the big issue. The difficult partwill be sim. You will have 6 sim sessions to get type rated in the left seat. Not easy. For example, it took my partner 3 sesions to even become close to comfortable with the first flight of the day ground checks! On the Saab there's a lot of extra left seat stuff. It ain't like the old days of just doing FO stuff for initial training. And it ain't like a jet (Embraers in my case) where there's no prop stuff to worry about and there's more automation to help. And in my experience SilverIis the most stingy airline about giving extra training. Maybe more is expected with the ATP law? But I remember years ago places like Eagle gave their struggling pilots enormous amounts of extra sim training. Don't expect that at Silver.

As far as wash out rate, it was one out of three in my class, but myself and another guy were already typed with lots of Saab experience. I believe we were the first Saab class where a PIC type was required to get through training. In other words you were trained to get a PIC type instead of SIC and were given no option in the matter. (And as I said 2 of us came in already PIC typed).Big difference! I heard that the washout rate in the Beech-1900 class before my Saab class was very high, but I have no first hand knowledge of that.

All I'm saying is be careful and don't burn bridges to an old job to come to Silver.