View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 02:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: PA-18, Front

Originally Posted by EasternATC View Post
Numbers, I didn't quite get all this, but you're from north of the border, right? You are absolutely correct about being told to "check in with your speed," etc. It's a crappy habit too many controllers use today, for various reasons; no one should tolerate it.
Yes I am. I've been out of the heavy metal world for some time now, but I don't recall ever having to put up with this kind of uploading in Europe or Asia, or anywhere else outside North America for that matter. The problem is that the Regulator, by approving an Air Carrier's Flight Operations Manual, elevates its contents to the power of regulations, albeit indirectly. So if the Air Carrier's FOM says, the use of the word "shall" means mandatory action, and that pilots "shall" comply with ATC instructions (save specified circumstances), then by approving the FOM, the Regulator, in effect, says, pilots (of that carrier) "shall comply with ATC instructions (save specified circumstances)." And if the pilot doesn't, he subjects himself to enforcement - in addition to any disciplinary action. Granted, it's a power seldom enforced, but it is cited during post-incident hearings if relevant. And that's enough to cause a chilling effect, i.e. the disinclination to refuse ATC uploading. But I agree with you 100%: no pilot should tolerate it.