View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 05:29 PM
eman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by FlyerJosh View Post
Dead on. Make FRIENDS. Not networking acquaintances. Meeting crews and exchanging information is just the first step.

Join various discussion websites. APF, PPW, LinkedIn, etc. see if there are others on these forums that live near you. See if anybody wants to meetmformdrinks- not to job hunt, but to talk about aviation or other passions. Host overnighting crews at your house for lunch or dinner, or meet up with other crews while on the road. Personally, I've found PPW to be a great resource in meeting other pilots. Many members post where they live or are overnighting.

A name and a phone number on a piece of paper are worthless in most cases. It's what you do with that name and number after you have it that counts. If I endorse somebody for a job, I want to know who they are, beyond simple phone conversations that Ho along the lines of "Hey, are you guys hiring? Would you mind looking at my résumé or Can I keep in touch?"

Thanks, I didn't know PPW existed until now! I've always been timid about approaching strangers; but if they're like me they'll want to talk ANYONE'S ear off after sitting alone in a plane for up to 5 hours! I'm not much for bar crawling anymore, but I've heard that's a good place to run into pilots. I don't doubt it, that's the first thing I used to do on a layover, get a drink and pass the time.

Hey if anyone finds themselves in Miami, look me up! You're all being helpful and giving me some motivation to keep trying.