View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 04:14 PM
De La Ghetto
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2013
Default Flight Training Advice

Good evening gents,

I'm 21 years old and a second year college student who is currently studying aviation technology at a local community college. I recently got my private pilots license through the program, however - it has taken me 9 long months since the flight-school associated with the college has very few planes and too many students.. their planes are ALWAYS breaking down + weather. I'm a little frustrated that it's taking so long and sometimes I feel like I'm wasting time. The only way I'm paying for my flight training is through pell grants, state grants, and sub/unsub loans from the government. As much as I'd love to attend a flight school like U.S Aviation academy or ATP, I can't since I have no one to cosign the loan for me. I'm currently thinking of the different options I may have -

Option 1: Stay in the flight program and hope things get better.

Option 2: Use the sub/unsubsidized loans which I will get reimbursed and find a good job to help pay for my flight training at a local part 61 flight school which have rates as low as $80/h for a C-152 and just continue my flight training part 61. Plus they have more planes and instructors.

Option 3: Enlist in the ANG , which is offering 20k sign-on bonus for certain jobs. I can use this money to help me pay my flight training once I come back from tech-school. In addition, I may open up doors to get into SUPT assuming I meet the requirements.

I don't have much money and in fact , I'm in debt by 3-4k. My ultimate goal is to become an airline pilot and possibly a part time Air Force Pilot (ANG/Reserves). I'm very open to hear any advise/suggestions.

~De La Ghetto