View Single Post
Old 04-14-2007, 09:55 PM
KoruPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Contract purgatory

Don't worry about the BGT as you don't require it if you've flown a turbine (just say yes if it's a question). It's for GA guy's looking to go fly a Metro as a first turbine job (your ATP and turbine time is better). You'll need to convert your ATPL eventually, but a number of the guy's who come from the military don't have it. It is nice as you go straight to fourth year pay after probation; twelve months at the company, (another) written test which is open book, a probation line check and sim check, plus they have a book which you need to have filled out with captain or training pilot feedback, preferably possitive. Sounds daunting but no worries as they prepare you very well.

I converted my Canadian ATPL straight over. You'll require 500 command or 1000 CO on a multi-crew aircraft, the regos of which must be on the ticket you are converting (N rego aircraft if you are converting with an FAA ticket, I think military country of civil issue counts but check that one), the license must be current, and then you do the Kiwi ATPL law written and a check ride. The type ride you'll do with your employer is fine, just get a check airman that can give ATPL's. Otherwise get a commercial and do the full Kiwi ATPL. That's lot's of exams mate (seven?, I'll ask my wife), totally non-sensical just like the JAR, so well worth being able to convert your foreign ticket.

You are correct about polishing certain technical skills and knowlege. I forgot about the other exam, very technical and if you don't know what you are getting into it will not go well (as it did for a B737 skipper from the UK who was looking for a job). If you get the interview let me know and I'll make sure you get 100%, which frankly is what they want to see. Don't ask, just get in touch when the time comes. There are military guy's here though so that does help you out. You guy's must have some kind of secret hand shake or something.

If you can land a work permit you might want to look at Pacific Blue to get in the door. You'll need an Alteon NG rating on a Kiwi or Aussie license, but with that and your but in Godzone you'll be in very good steed. We have a Pac Blue guy coming to us on this round, so it would get you in the country on a jet making OK money. As long as Air NZ knows that the purpose is to get on with them they will look favourably at it (read, keep them informed of your intentions).

You're time is great JD, pretty much exactly what they are looking for, and if you are training guy's at the AF Academy then that will help your case greatly (they'd also take into account what you've been doing when you hit the sim). They really want you to be involved here so advanced training experience (airline/military) goes over very well. I was a training captain on the CV580 and it was mentioned in the panel interview in a possitive light. I've been here just a year and a half and I've just been accepted as a LOSA auditor. They really do hire with the expectation that you be able to command in a years time, so as an SO you get legs where all the decisions are yours as far as flight planning and enroute flying. Unfortunately we do have this silly can't land thing, which is odd as they give you a full command type rating on your ticket, and, no kidding, keep you current with regular handling details in the sim. Guy's have made 737 left seat in under five years though, so I don't look at starting as an SO in too bad a light. You can go direct right seat on the 733 as well as the company considers it the same rank as SO.

Anyway, I'm rambling again, lack of sleap I think. I'm past the PNR for sleep now so I have to stay up and stay on a normal pattern. No worries about the post, I'm glad to help.

It is a great place to work and well worth the effort if you can figure out how to do it. I really can't emphasize that enough. I'm not a staunch company man by any means, but I know a good thing when I'm living it. Gotta have that PR Visa though, definately work on that as I recon you'd be at the top of the heap (I had the app and three updates over a year and a half to get the job). Invercargill? It was freezing there last night. We have pilots commuting from as far as Aussie so if you really wanted to live there. . .I prefer good old Auckland and the year round surfing.

Keep posting. You'll be able to PM me by the time you come down here so I can fill you in on some ways and means that I kep to the PM's and emails.

Last edited by KoruPilot; 04-14-2007 at 10:08 PM.