View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 09:32 AM
FDXLAG
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: 767 FO

Originally Posted by MaydayMark View Post
That's actually a pretty good answer ... how come we don't know that (except that we can't get it to work)???? The app catalog is down but we're REQUIRED to have the latest updates? Seems like there should be a better "automatic update system." All my other Apple products update in the background, it's invisible and easy?

We're required to auto-update via wifi even in hotels/ramps that don't have wifi available? I think I've noticed them putting wifi antennas on the MEM ramp light poles, can they do that everywhere? I'm surprised the FAA buys off on such a system?

Fair disclosure: I'm out on SCK leave and haven't been issued an iPad yet. Did I read that FDX purchased worldwide 4G service? How come we can't update that way? Updates seem to work reliably and automatically on my iPhone, iMac and MacBook Air ... why is the FDX iPad different?
I am not a fanboy. But the IPAD system works pretty well. The 1st EMail explained in precise language how to get the Jepps update. I missed it the 1st time but after about 2 minutes I went back and reread the email and viola. You can force an update over LTE but it appears slower and would likely be expensive anywhere but the good old USA. Some of the chart updates are massive.

Again not an Apple Fan but a big fan of carrying an Ipad instead of paper of any kind. If they would just issue the mounting strap things to pilots instead of airplanes all would be well. Of course I would modify it so that it would work with my smart cover, maybe that is why they dont.