Old 10-09-2013, 10:38 PM
AviatorAston
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2013
Default Question regarding AOA, Lift, and Airspeed

Hello everyone. My apologies if this ends up being a silly question without even knowing it. Thank you in advance for any and all answers to this question which I am greatly pondering about. It's my understanding that both airspeed and AOA directly affect lift. As airspeed increases, so does lift. Likewise, as AOA increases, so does lift (up to the critical angle of attack of course). Now, my question is this. Say an aircraft was traveling at 140 knots in level flight. If power was reduced but pitch was not changed, airspeed would of course be reduced, thereby reducing lift and causing the aircraft to now descend. From what I have researched, it is my understanding that at this point the pilot would need to pitch up to increase the angle of attack and thereby increase the lift to counteract the lift lost by the decrease in airspeed in order to maintain level flight. It's here where I have an issue. Airspeed is decreased so lift is decreased. Pitch is now increased to increase lift and compensate. However, doesn't airspeed decrease further as an aircraft pitches up?? Therefore it would go in this order. A decrease in lift due to decreased airspeed. An increase in lift due to increasing pitch and angle of attack to compensate. A decrease in lift once again due to a decrease in airspeed caused by pitching up. So basically you would be right back where you began when you first decreased power and thereby decreased lift. However, it's my understanding that this is not what happens. Decreasing airspeed in level flight and then pitching up to compensate will maintain level flight. How does that work based on what I explained?? Very confused.