View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: PA-18, Front

Originally Posted by Speedbird2263 View Post
I remember having to complete a a few days of classes geared specifically towards radiotelephony during my PPL course. Standard points covered included saying the phrase Affirm, instead of Affirmative which I'm not sure is still ICAO standard as it was due to poor radio transmission quality of days past. The term affirmative may have been heard as negative, so that's one thing that always stuck. Also remember that ICAO numbers stop at 9(in terms of enunciation), therefore I always enunciate altitudes such as 17,500 as (wun-seh-ven thousand fife hundred). Of course that seems not to apply to actual flight numbers and I've yet to research the 'official' ICAO phraseology for flight numbers. eg. I always hear 2263 as twenty- two sixty-three in the US whereas in International airspace for the most part it's enunciated as too-too-six-tree.

All in all I join in for standard phraseology at all times but also see nothing wrong with tasteful greetings/salutations.

HF reception is still poor, especially if the frequency you're on is one of the weak ones along your route at that time.