View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 09:35 PM
reredwood
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2010
Position: B767-300, FO

First of all, congrats on the private pilot license and welcome to our community of pilots.

My recommendation would be to move over to a part 61 school. That will, hopefully, allow you to be more in control of how much you fly (on a side note, it will also allow you to control who you fly with, a good instructor, that you get along with, is worth it). The more you can fly the faster you will move through your ratings (piloting skill requires practice and repetition). You lose a lot of skill sitting on the ground between flights which will require more flights and time to get back.

I would also recommend continuing with the degree. Not only is it good as a back up to being a pilot, it also shows your future employer that a)you are good at studying/learning at a higher level and b)you can stick to a difficult, long and complex task.

Lastly I would recommend keeping your debt down as low as possible at all times, even if it means you take a break between ratings to pay things off. You are in a great position to reap the benefits of the coming pilot retirements. The job will be there when you get through with your ratings. I would recommend focusing more on becoming a good pilot, with good skills and aeronautical decision making. The commercial airline accidents over the last couple of years have been because of poor (or no) recovers from private pilot manuvers (recover from stalls and low airspeed). I say this both to keep yourself safe and also because, hopefully, someday my family or I may be on your aircraft.

Hope this helps. Sorry if its a little long. Anything else I can do, I'd be happy to help.