View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 06:09 AM
Skubajet
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2011

Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
Back in the 70's I would agree with you. However, since the regional boom and the two catastrophic events, 911 and the age 65 rule, there are extremely qualified applicants who fly in the airline system and has proven to be worthy to sit in a main line aircraft. Just because one is a pilot in the military does not make him more qualified then a regional pilot. It's just a different type of flying. I bet you could take the majority of regional pilots and train them in a f16 or whatever aircraft just as easy as a military pilot is trained in a 121 style flying. In fact most military pilots come out of service with less hours than a regional pilot flying for the same amount of years. When it comes down to it the regional pilot is more experienced than the military when it comes to 121. If you were going in the military type flying then the military pilot is more qualified. I will agree that management, non pilots, are conditioned to think the same as you when it comes to military but the fact is the regional pilot is more qualified.
No one is saying the mil pilot is a better pilot than a civil pilot. I think a lot of major airlines like to look at the entire package when they hire someone. For example, leadership experience. I know for a fact flying is only a fraction of what mil pilots do. Many take on other roles as natops evaluators, aviation safety officers who manage squadron aviation safety programs, operations officers, plus many have masters degrees as well. Now compare that to thousands of regional pilots who aren't check airman who have only flown a plane and you can see why many mil pilots are very competitive candidates.