View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 06:18 PM
ERJF15
Banned

Joined APC: Mar 2009

Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
ERJF15 I live in AZ.

I always wanted to be a cop as a kid. My father was a police chief and retired young with a nice pension. He loved every day of it and misses it dearly.
I love flying but I don't really enjoy being a pilot if that makes sense. I've done the airlines (was captain at a regional for 5 years) done the corporate, and now fly part 135.
The local Sheriff's office is opening their application window early next year and I'm contemplating sending my app. I'm sure it won't all be roses and I could earn more money staying in aviation, but it looks like a very rewarding career. There's no guarantee I would get in or even make it to the end. I read that in the last class, 29 made it out of the 44 that started training. Some were let go, others just quit. I have prior military experience so I'm not worried about tough training regiments.
The Sheriffs office has its own aviation department too. I see the guys in the FBO at night. They circle the city in modified cessnas with PT6 engines with advanced imaging equipment. They always have interesting stories to tell.

Police aviation. You can have the both of both worlds.