Old 01-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Willi364
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2006

I completed a fast track program and all the cfi's I was trained by were well trained and experienced. I started at a small fbo in So Cal and thought the training I recieved there was equally as good before moving on to an academy. Most of the cfi's there were graduates of a university or a fast track program. At the time I was working a job and flying anywhere from 2 to 4 times a week. I decided to take it a step further and go full time with an academy. I'm sure I saved some money with the academy or at least broke even. Without question I have most certainly saved time. I think as far as getting your ratings, it all depends on the individual and their commitment. The FAA requirments remain the same for universities, fbo's and academies. I have now been employed as a cfi at the academy and have provided instruction to pilots with no experience to having learned a thing or two myself from another student. To answer the question posted, I think as long as you are training at a location where the cfi's do nothing but provide instruction on a full time basis you are bound to find an experienced cfi. I know at some fbo's there are instructors who will sit around for days waiting for the next student to drop for a flight. At least at a university or an academy thats not a problem.