View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 02:52 PM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

This sounds kind of crazy, but have any of you guys lasered yourselves? I'm thinking of getting together with a couple pilot friends to try to laser my airplane (not on final, perhaps in pattern on downwind, we'll be communicating via radio/CTAF).

I discussed with an ophthalmologist friend in detail, and it is perfectly safe from an energy / retinal damage point of view (consumer laser pointer, not high-powered laser). I'll be exploring how bad it is from a visibility standpoint, and will have a safety pilot who will cover his eyes during the laser activation just in the rare and bizarre case that I temporarily can't see afterward, will try right at end of civil twilight.

Things I want to find out are
1 How easy is it to locate where the source is coming from by the pilot? My friend will either be by the FBO, Tower, or parking lot, and we will see if it can easily be located.

2 Is the laser able to track the cockpit or does it flicker due to just handheld motion?

3 How blinding is it?

Perhaps I'll try to video the whole thing... wondering if anybody has done similar?