View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Montey
KC-10 Crew Dawg

Joined APC: Oct 2013
Position: Student

Originally Posted by pokey9554 View Post
If my memory serves me right, the admission process is simple. Go and admit yourself. The program is not a piece of cake though. It's run by a retired AF guy with the help of a retired DAL pilot, another retired AF guy, and two GA pilots. It is very structured.

While the upside is that the program is very structured, the downside is that it is very structured. There will always be rumors of guys getting their private, comm., etc. before you at another training facility. I prefer quality over quantity.

You will be required to be put on the flight schedule 3 times per week, but with the crazy weather in the midwest, your completed flights will vary greatly by season. You can elect to fly twice a day if you prefer as well.

Instructors can instruct as much as they want per the FARs based on the availability of their students. Unlike Joe's Flying Service, a made up part 61 flight school, some of the students are there because daddy flies for SWA and he's going to get them a job after they get their private. They're not all lovers of aviation who are willing to make the minor sacrifices to get the job done. It can be difficult to fly a bunch if you can't get your students motivated. I instructed there for a little over a year and a half before I got 1,000 hours and moved on to a 121 carrier.

As enrollment numbers vary, so does airplane availability. They have an aging fleet, but that is also the reason costs are probably better than anywhere else. I haven't compared them lately.

With all that said, there were times training was slow, and there were times where you can seize the day.

Discalimer: I am on the aviation alumni BOD. I have nothing to gain or lose whether you decide to attend or not. I just want to help keep a great program alive. It is not a well known school, but has a very very strong alumni presence who will bend over backwards trying to help you. You've just got to stand out enough to get noticed.

PM me for any information. I would be more than happy to set up a tour for you.
Man that sounds like a really good program. I dont have the best SAT scores aswell, thats why I was asking about the admissions. I am very passionate about aviation and you'd be suprised on how much I already know I'll do some more researching, and I'll make sure to PM you if anymore questions arise.