View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 06:01 PM
RBI73
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: T-38 IP
Default Military pilot to regional job

I tried a search and found mixed results.

As I get closer to my DOS and the majors aren't calling I'm considering more and more the option of going to a regional just to check the 121 box and hopefully generate a call. I have a reserve job lined up and can make a lot more money doing that. I can also make a lot more money by staying home and playing Mr Mom while my wife transitions from part to full time.

Additionally, I have a decent amount of time for a military pilot (3850 total, 1700 turbine mostly PIC, IP/EP, CFII)and will stay current in the reserves.

So I'm really just looking for opinions on wether this is a good idea for generating an interview invite at the Majors. Anyone out there have success at it? Anyone recommend not doing it? I'm not motivated enough to actually apply to any airlines not on airlineapps. So I went ahead and submitted to GoJet, ExpressJet, and Skywest today. I plan to take significant mil leave to pay the bills and am looking at this short term (ie if I don't get a call within a year...I'll bail to a non flying job while I wait).

Thoughts on the game-plan and recommendations on the airlines I've mentioned? GoJet has some problems like no CNX pay, etc. but they offer an upgrade to captain at 4500 hours. My biggest concern is they must pay me during training and must pay for my hotel as well.