Thread: Compass updates
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 08:12 AM
MARX
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by rcfd13 View Post
I got less than a 3.0 in both high school and college. I've never failed a checkride or a 121 training event and my worst systems test score so far has been a 95%. I don't think college GPA is an accurate predictor of anything really. Should someone with a 4.0 GPA from a community college land a job before someone with a 2.8 GPA from Yale for instance?

It's just a number which really means nothing post-grad. How you perform in the work place is what should matter.

You're probably an exception to the rule. This has been studied in great detail, and there is some pretty solid data on this suggesting otherwise.

GPA is a very strong predictor, not the only predictor, but still very telling of someone's possible success (or failure) in the 121 environment (not just training). Aside from GPA, type of degree, and college are also factors. Someone with a business degree from a community college has a lower chance for 121 success than someone with an engineering degree from MIT.

Actually, a lot of the part 117 regs were derived from these studies. ie RATP mins.