View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by wjl408 View Post
No colin, just the 4 didgits and all our flights are same day FXE to the Bahamas and back.
I have a partial solution for you. It is mind boggling that excel doesn't have this capability built in already.

Select the columns you'll be entering your OOOI times in and select "format cells".

In the box that opens, make sure the "number" tab is the one selected (it's the first one, so it should be).

Click on "custom" in the category section on the left and then enter this: 00\:00 in the blank space under "type" and click "okay".

That will allow you to enter 4 digit times without colon in the columns/cell you custom format that way.

You can do a simple subtraction formula to compute block time in a "Block Time" column by subtracting the cell value in your "in" column from your cell value in your "out" column. Assuming your out/off/on/in columns were A/B/C/D with the block time column in E, your formula in E2 would be =D2-A2. With your example of out at 0800 and in at 0922, I was able to get a displayed block time of 01:22.

I'm assuming you are somewhat familiar with Excel and that stuff is probably more detail than you need. If you need more info let me know.

The conversion from total block time of 01:22 to a decimal of 1.4 in your example is proving difficult. The custom formatting is not actually "seen" by excel as a time display of hours:minutes. So far, I have not been able to figure a way to build a formula that will change the 01:22 displayed to 1.4 hours. I'll let you know if I have any luck. I'm not a serious excel expert, so maybe someone else has some ideas.

Last edited by Adlerdriver; 10-30-2013 at 03:11 PM.